Wednesday, November 10, 2010

ROMS bulk forcing update

In case anyone is interested I now have a version of ROMS_TOOLS that will accommodate the CORE 2 forcing data set. The data-set needs to be pre-prepared top put all variables on a consistent time-step and separate it into monthly blocks. Roms_blk files now contain no wind stress variables (redundant space) and specific rather than relative humidity. Only downward long-wave radiation is included - black body radiation is corrected for in the bulk routine. Shortwave radiation is corrected for with a flat albedo for sea-water (0.065). The ROMS algorithms have been adapted to cope with specific humidity.

I have also engineered a way to allow ROMS to accept an anomaly on the fly (labelled 'anom' in roms_anm.nc), this way anomalies can be applied to data sets without rebuilding the forcing fields. Let me know if this is of use - the anomaly I have made is currently just applicable to wind stress.

Lastly, we now have the entire CORE2 data-set, normal year and inter-annual series, both in corrected forms. I am currently working on adapting the boundary routines to take data from a few ORCA configurations, which we now have the data for in house (contact me if you want more details on this: configs are ORCA05 and ORCA2 from the Kiel Climate Model).

If anyone spots that I have done something a bit stupid above, please let me know!

Cheers

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment